This is one of the best old-fashioned salads and it’s a breeze to put together with our Paderno Spiral Slicer! Beautiful ribbons of cucumber are made in mere seconds and combine with that tangy, slightly sweet dressing that we grew up loving. Fresh, delicious and perfect for a summer side dish.
- Serves: 6
- Prep time: 60 min
- 6 large cucumbers, ends trimmed
- 1 small red onion (you will only use ½)
- 16 ounces sour cream
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced dill
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- black pepper to taste
- Cut the trimmed cucumbers in half to create smaller pieces. Insert the straight/flat blade into the spiral slicer. Place a cucumber half onto the center coring hole and bring the handle up to secure. Turn the handle to create ribbons of cucumbers, stopping and removing strands every 3 turns of the handle. Repeat until all cucumbers have been ribbon cut.
- Sprinkle the ribbons with salt and place in a colander to drain for at least an hour, tossing gently every 15 minutes to remove excess water.
- While the cucumbers are draining, whisk together the sour cream, vinegar, dill, salt, sugar and black pepper. Cover and chill.
- When the cucumbers have drained, turn them out onto paper towels and gently press with extra paper towels on top. Place into a large bowl.
- Peel the onion and trim the ends. Slice a slit into one side of the onion, stopping near the center. This allows you to create “c shaped” slices. Attach the straight/flat blade to the slicer and cut the onion. Only cut half, as that is all you will need for this recipe.
- Toss the cucumber ribbons with the onions. Add prepared dressing in small increments and gently toss to combine until you reach desired amount of dressing. Garnish with extra dill.