This recipes is made with turkey bolognese, that is a perfect balance between meat and vegetables. We’re able to substitute the ground beef or lamb with a more healthy lean turkey, because we’re pumping in extra flavor with red wine and hearty tomato paste.
- Serves: 6
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cooking time: 3 hours
- olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced small
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup milk
- zucchini (1 per person on average)
- Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan. Add diced carrots and onion to hot pan and saute until slightly softened.
- Add the ground turkey to the pan and break into small pieces. Add the oregano, thyme, basil and garlic to the pan and stir to combine. Cook for a few minutes.
- Create a well in the center of the pan and add the tomato paste. Stir and cook the tomato paste for 3-4 minutes over medium heat. It will begin to brown slightly and start to create a coating on the bottom of the pan. This is what you want.
- Slowly add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to incorporate any tomato paste stuck to the bottom of the pan. Allow the wine to reduce for a few minutes.
- Add the 4 cans of tomato products. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the milk, stir to incorporate and taste for seasonings. Add additional salt/pepper if desired.
- Cook over low for 2-3 hours until reduced and most of the liquid is gone.
- If cooking the zucchini noodles, preheat the oven to 200 degrees and line a couple of baking sheets with several layers of paper towels. Use the Paderno Spiral Slicer with one of the shredder blades to create thin or thick "noodles". Place the noodles on the baking sheets, sprinkle lightly with salt and cook in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the noodles and press the tops with additional towels to remove any excess water. Serve under the warm bolognese sauce, or add the noodles directly to the sauce and allow to cook for a few minutes before serving.