A recipe for who love berries, expecially when they are incorporated into a dish and left as natural as possible. Ripe and bursting with flavor, not masked with a bunch of ingredients.
- Serves: 7
- Prep time: 40 min
- Cooking time: 35 min
- 32 ounces strawberries, trimmed and cut in 3 pieces
- 1 pint of blueberries, stems removed if applicable
- 12 ounces blackberries, large ones cut in half
To sprinkle on berries:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- zest from 1 lemon
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Grand Marnier liquor
For the dough:
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup cold milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit degrees (180 Celsius degrees).
- Place the berries into a medium bowl and sprinkle with sugar, zest/juice, cornstarch and ginger. Gently toss to coat the berries, then let them set for 30 minutes.
- While the berries set, you'll prepare the dough. In a medium bowl, mix together the granulated sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom. Add the cold butter pieces and work into the flour with your fingers or a pastry blender until you have "sand-like" texture. Pour in the milk and egg and stir just until moistened and combined.
- Stir the berries a few times, then add to your baking dish. I like to use a wide shallow baker (11x2), however a variety of casserole sizes will work. Just make sure your berries cover the bottom and come up a couple of inches in the pan. Sprinkle the grand marnier over the berries.
- Use an ice cream scoop or spoon to place portions of dough on top of the berries (I get about 7 with my ice cream scoop).
- Slightly flatten each portion of dough and sprinkle with a little turbinado sugar.
- Place the cobbler in the oven and allow to bake for 30-35 minutes until the dough is golden brown.
- Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving over ice cream.